Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Rains Came

For the first time since I've been here we got hit hard with rain on Thursday night, and I can confirm this because I ended up having to play a softball game as the rain just began to fall harder and harder. Apparently, they take their softball very seriously in Idaho since they didn't even seem to want to consider calling the game until our 7 run rally in the bottom of the 4th or 5th to tie the game at 8-8 with two outs. I was coming to the plate just after the run scored to tie the game, and I could see the up starting to discuss calling the game with the scorekeeper (the jackass who'd been watching from his Suburban the entire time). I told them there's no way I stood in the rain for 45 minutes so they could call it at that moment. I roped the first pitch up the middle to plate the runner for third to complete our comeback and 9-8 victory.

Interestingly enough, though, for the last half hour of the game, my only real concern was whether or not it was raining out by the river, and what it would do to the water out there. If it muddied up the water, giving fish less visibility, dry fly fishing wouldn't be as productive as it's been lately.

Rick and I headed out to the spot in the river we'd exited the day before, hoping to recreate our glory. We had a nice day, though not as productive as we'd hoped. Rick caught easily the best fish of the day in the afternoon, but in attempting to help him land the fish, I accidentally bumped him off the leader and popped the hook, so I ruined his chance at a good photo, after all of the spectacular photos he'd snapped of me. I felt horrible, and like a true friend, he told me not to worry about it, and then harassed me mercilessly at every chance the rest of the day. Rick's got two days left out here, so hopefully we'll get another shot at a good picture with a big fish.

We only really had one or two pools that were too deep and slow moving to clear the muddy water yesterday, but it rained again last night, so we're "sleeping in" today to hopefully give the waters time to clear. Either way, I can already see the sun bursting through my window, so as long as we get onto the water at sometime, it's bound to be a beautiful day.

No comments: